The perfect day of riding can turn into a nightmare in the blink of an eye — an accident can leave its victim with serious personal injuries, significant financial losses, and sometimes even life-changing consequences. If your accident resulted from someone else’s negligence and left you with serious injuries, we can help you get justice.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Surprise, AZ.
There are many reasons for Surprise, Arizona motorcycle accidents, some of which can be attributed to the negligence or recklessness of another party. For example, the following types of negligent or reckless behavior can result in a motorcyclist being struck and injured:
- The failure of another driver to check their blind spots or otherwise failing to see a motorcyclist on the road
- Another driver’s failure to stop in time at a stop sign or red light
- Another driver taking an illegal or reckless turn
- Lane splitting, which is considered an illegal maneuver in Arizona
- Reckless driving, such as following too closely or not staying in one’s lane
- The other driver being distracted, such as by a cell phone or other electronics
- Drowsy or fatigued driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Motorcycle defects
A motorcycle accident can result in serious personal injuries to the victim, including head or traumatic brain injuries, back or spinal injuries, damage to internal organs, broken or fractured bones, and various sprains, strains, or abrasions.
If your accident resulted from someone else’s negligent conduct, such as reckless driving by another driver, you may be able to recover damages for the financial losses you have incurred. Damages may include your out-of-pocket costs, such as medical bills, hospitalization, and lost income, as well as your pain and suffering and other general damages.
How Can You Avoid Motorcycle Accidents?
Although motorcycle accidents can happen anywhere and at any time, there are some ways you can prepare to avoid them. Consider the following effective practices:
- Wear all necessary protective gear, including a helmet, every time you ride.
- Practice defensive riding, such as by always checking your blind spots and avoiding distractions.
- Never speed—particularly as speeding is one of the leading causes of motorcycle accidents.
- Increase your visibility by wearing bright clothing, using reflective elements, and staying as visible as possible to cars and others on the road.
- Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol, and never allow distractions such as electronics on your ride.
- Stay alert for road hazards, weather hazards, sudden moves by other drivers or riders, and any dangers at intersections.
What Should You Do if You’ve Been Involved in a Motorcycle Accident in Surprise, AZ?
First and foremost, after a motorcycle accident, it is essential that you get to safety and get checked out for any injuries. Seeking out the medical care you need is important, even if you think you feel fine after the accident, as some personal injuries can take time to develop. Be seen by an emergency medical technician or doctor as soon as possible, and advocate for getting the medical care you need.
Also, take time to assess the scene and collect information, which can help you preserve important evidence in your case. Get the contact information for the other driver and any other parties, as well as witnesses. If possible, ask witnesses to record or write a statement as soon as possible regarding what they observed at the scene. Also, take pictures of the accident scene, any personal injuries, and the damage to your motorcycle or any other personal property.
As soon as you are able after your accident, contact an experienced Surprise, Arizona, motorcycle accident attorney. They will discuss your legal rights and options and work with you on the next steps to take in your case. This will likely include filing your claim and negotiating with the responsible parties and their insurance companies toward a fair and reasonable settlement offer. If a settlement is not possible, a knowledgeable lawyer will work with you to establish a strong case to present on your behalf at trial.
How Can Gerber Injury Law Help?
A motorcycle accident can leave you with serious injuries, not to mention significant financial damages. If you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle accident as a result of the negligent actions of someone else in the Surprise, Arizona area, reach out to the team at Gerber Injury Law for help today.
We have the resources necessary to handle every aspect of your injury claim, and we want to make sure you receive the compensation necessary to make a full recovery. This includes coverage of your medical bills, lost income, pain, and suffering damages, and more. Call our personal injury attorneys in Surprise for a free consultation at 623-486-8300 or click here to reach us online.