25+ YEARS EXPERIENCE • 99% SUCCESS RATE • $100+ MILLION RECOVERED
Arizona Bus Accident Lawyer
Valley Metro in Phoenix and other public transit systems across Arizona combine with school buses, tour and charter bus operators, and other organizations to move millions of people a year. Even in a car-friendly place like The Grand Canyon State, buses are an important way to get around.
Traveling by bus has some advantages. It’s a greener way to travel, and many buses are built like tanks, which can make passengers feel safer. In the case of a bus accident, though, the injuries can be catastrophic. Trying to get compensation can quickly get complicated, too, because of the many parties involved.
Gerber Injury Law is a family-oriented firm dedicated to helping bus accident survivors across Arizona. Our trustworthy legal team are experts in their field, with more than 25 years of experience and a 99% success rate. We treat you like family and seek fair compensation for you at times when you may feel most vulnerable.
If you’ve been in a bus accident in Goodyear, Glendale, Maryvale, or any community in Arizona, don’t hesitate. Reach out to us immediately so a bus accident lawyer on our team can immediately start recommending ways you can protect your rights.
What Kinds of Bus Accidents and Injuries Are Common in Arizona?
Arizona’s roads and highways see many kinds of bus collisions, including:
- Rollovers. Speed can be a factor in this type of accident, especially on uneven roads. In some cases, a collision with an object or another vehicle can create enough force to cause a bus to roll because buses tend to be top-heavy.
- Collisions with other vehicles. One of the most common collisions involves another vehicle. A car may cut off a bus, or a bus driver may fail to see another vehicle in time to avoid a crash.
- School bus accidents. While school bus drivers need extra hours of training and ongoing education, school bus accidents can and still do occur. This type of collision can be especially devastating for entire communities because of the young age of the victims involved.
- Mass transit accidents. Public buses are a relatively safe way to travel, and drivers must undergo testing and training. However, driving on busy streets and making frequent stops can create the risk of crashes.
- Private or charter bus accidents. Tour buses, shuttle vans, and other vehicles owned by private companies hire their own drivers. Not all companies are diligent about hiring carefully and about maintaining their fleets, which can put passengers at risk.
- Pedestrian accidents. Buses have big blind spots, and pedestrians can be easy for a bus driver to miss.
While pedestrians are especially vulnerable, any of these collisions can cause serious injuries, including:
- Head injuries
- Broken bones
- Burns, scarring, and disfigurement
- Spinal cord and back injuries
- Soft tissue injuries, including whiplash
In some cases, serious bus crashes can even result in fatalities. And even for survivors who walk away without any physical harm, the trauma of experiencing this type of traffic accident can be devastating.
What Can I Do If I’m Injured in a Bus Crash in Arizona?
The most important thing is to protect your health. Always call 911 if you’re seriously injured or think you might have sustained a significant injury. It’s better to get checked out and find out that you’re OK than to take the risk. Even if you feel fine, get a doctor to check you out as soon as possible after the crash to rule out any injuries that may have subtle symptoms or even no symptoms at all.
After your health, the most important thing to protect is your right to fair compensation. We’ve talked about how serious some of the injuries can be in bus crashes, and while we’re lucky to have world-class healthcare in Arizona, paying for that care can be a big worry for anyone who’s survived a bus accident.
In Arizona, you may have the right to pursue compensation for medical costs, lost wages, property damage, pain and suffering, and other losses if your accident and injury were caused by someone’s negligence. This is very important because if you don’t seek fair compensation, some or most of your costs will come out of pocket.
A bus accident injury can add up to tens of thousands of dollars or even hundreds of thousands. A serious, permanent injury can have a lifetime cost in the seven figures. Most hard-working Arizonans simply can’t cover these expenses without help, so here’s how to protect that right to seek compensation:
- Take photos or videos of the accident scene and your injuries, if you can
- Keep any documentation related to your accident, such as any letters you get or any receipts for items or services you’ve had to buy
- Contact a bus accident lawyer as soon as possible, preferably before talking to anyone about the accident or signing any paperwork
- Avoid talking to others about the accident or posting about it or about your injuries on social media
How Are Arizona Bus Accidents Different From Other Personal Injury Claims?
The team at Gerber Injury Law has worked with clients who’ve had their lives permanently changed by a bus accident. These can be some of the most overwhelming and challenging personal injury claims for a few reasons:
The Injuries Tend to Be Devastating
Pedestrians hit by a bus can face fatal injury. You may feel safer inside a bus, but think about what happens in a collision. Without a seatbelt or airbags, you’re thrown from your seat. So is everyone else. Any objects on the bus become airborne, and you can easily crash into other people or items on the bus. You can even be thrown from the vehicle with force.
The size of the bus also means there’s a lot of force involved in a crash. The bus may crash into several objects or vehicles on the road, and each impact can mean additional chances for injuries. A rollover can cause the vehicle to roll several times before coming to a stop, throwing everyone inside violently against the sides and top of the bus.
Catastrophic injuries don’t just mean more pain and suffering. They can also complicate claims. In a bus accident claim involving a permanent head injury, for example, the seriousness of the injury will mean you will face high medical bills, both now and in the future. How will you pay for those medical costs? Insurance companies and liable parties won’t want to pay for future expenses and will try to fight back against having to pay, which is why working with a bus accident lawyer may be important.
There Are Many Parties Involved
Anyone who’s injured in the bus may need to make a claim. This can mean insurers work harder to minimize the claims of each person since the overall cost of the crash will be so high. Multiple claims can also make it more likely that your concerns and your claim can get lost in the shuffle.
In addition, there may be multiple liable parties. A public bus, for example, can be owned by a transportation agency, a government agency, or a private company contracted by a government agency. In this situation, even trying to figure out who is liable can be very difficult unless you’re working with an experienced bus accident lawyer.
Some of the Parties May Be Protected
Government entities have sovereign immunity in Arizona, meaning they can only be sued in very specific situations and by following approved procedures. This can potentially complicate some mass transit and school bus accident claims, depending on who the liable parties are.
Since government agencies do enjoy protection from legal claims, you’ll want to reach out to an experienced bus accident attorney, who can find any liable parties responsible for your accident and who can search for ways you may be able to seek compensation.
Some of the Injured People May Be Children
Children use school buses, public transit, and other buses. When they’re injured, it’s obviously devastating for parents. One thing families may not even consider at first is the long-term impact of a serious childhood injury. A permanent injury can increase medical costs over a lifetime and can affect career opportunities and quality of life, too. In these situations, it’s important to work with a dedicated legal team to accurately evaluate the injury and pursue compensation that supports the child now and into their future.
When Should You Contact a Bus Accident Attorney?
While there’s no doubt that these personal injury claims are more complex, an experienced bus accident attorney can make a big difference. In the aftermath of a bus accident, you may not be thinking about calling a lawyer, but it’s something you should consider. For one thing, it’s not unusual to suddenly start getting calls from insurance companies and lawyers who represent liable parties and want to talk to you about the accident or even sign documents. No matter how polite they are, they’re looking out for their clients—not you.
How Can Gerber Injury Law Help?
When you work with a Gerber Injury Law, we are on your side and no one else’s. We work hard to earn your respect and trust, and we always treat you like family. Attorney Ken Gerber and the rest of our team have experience both with negotiations and trials, so we can take your case as far as needed to avoid a lowball offer and to pursue the fairest compensation.
Gerber Injury Law is a small firm, so you can always get personalized attention, but we have big resources. This allows us to:
- Thoroughly investigate the cause of a bus accident.
- Seek all liable parties.
- Evaluate how much your injuries could really end up costing you.
- Take care of speaking to attorneys, insurers, and other parties so you don’t have to.
- Create a customized legal strategy for your situation.
- Negotiate for you.
- Keep you updated about your case and answer your questions so you always know what’s going on.
- Take your case all the way to trial if that’s the best way to seek compensation.
We have recovered over $100 million for our clients, but the thing we’re most proud of is the way our clients recommend us to their friends and family. One thing we hear often is that our professional approach and compassion really help our clients during what is a difficult time.
Are you curious to learn more about our team? Check out our YouTube channel to get to know us better.
Or, better yet, if you’ve been in a bus accident or have suffered any kind of injury, contact us for a free consultation. Talk to a bus accident or personal injury lawyer at our firm, and let’s discuss whether you have a case, how much your case may be worth, the strength of your claim, and any other potential ways you can get fair compensation. There’s absolutely no cost and no obligation because at Gerber Injury Law, we believe that when you’re injured, you deserve to speak to an attorney with no risk and no price tag.
Request Your Free Consultation
If you or a loved one has been injured, don’t hesitate – contact our attorneys today!
After insurance company failed to pay $10k in policy limits for injuries caused by a motor vehicle accident.
For bicyclist hit by car.